Empathetics: Communicating Bad News
This course teaches medical professionals how to deliver bad news to patients and their families in the most compassionate and professional manner. Clinicians in multiple roles often need to communicate unwelcome information and doing this compassionately and effectively has profound impact on patient satisfaction. This lesson meets the criteria for 1.0 credit in end-of-life care. You might also like The Power of Empathy in Healthcare article in AAPA's News Central.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the spectrum of bad news and domains of identity affected
- List common patient concerns when receiving bad news
- Identify language tools and empathic statements to aid in communicating bad new
- Apply the "A VIP" Model in communicating bad news (Alliance, Viewpoint, Imbue Empathy, Plan)
- Approach communicating bad news with the E.M.B.R.A.C.E. Model
Purchase the Empathetics Bundle and save.