Pain Management and Opioids: Balancing Risks and Benefits
Adverse outcomes of addiction, unintentional overdose, and death resulting from inappropriate prescribing, abuse, and misuse of opioids have emerged as major public health problems. The importance of widespread and effective pain management education in combating the opioid crisis cannot be overstated. Clinicians face inconsistent pain management practices and lack of aligned pain management guidelines. It is critical that PAs are knowledgeable about the risks associated with opioid analgesics as they pertain to their patients as well as from a public health perspective.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Accurately assess patients in pain
- Develop a safe and effective pain treatment plan
- Identify evidence-based non-opioid options for the treatment of pain
- Identify the risks and benefits of opioid therapy
- Recognize behaviors that may be associated with opioid use disorder
Acknowledgement of Commercial Support
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Opioid Analgesics REMS Program Companies (RPC).