Patient Self-Management and Patient-Centered Care
This interactive activity designed to prepare PAs to effectively care for patients affected by diabetes and focuses on best practice approaches for integrating self-management education and support in patient-centered clinical practice.
Learning ObjectivesAt the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
Assess patients for:
- Health literacy and numeracy
- Current dietary patterns and preferences
- Current levels of physical activity
- Sleep patterns
- Barriers to change, which may include financial status.
Collaborate with patients to develop a self-management program that includes:
- Healthy eating
- Regular exercise
- Proper use of medications
- Monitoring of blood glucose levels
Employ a team-based approach to coordinate services and support patient self-management.
Make referrals to diabetes educators, registered dietitians, and other external providers as appropriate.