Obesity Leadership Edge: Module 5 - Pharmacologic Therapy
Obesity is a chronic disease that results in multiple complications and yet is rarely addressed in a systematic way in healthcare. This module is five of seven designed to prepare PAs to effectively care for patients affected by obesity and is part of AAPA’s curriculum known as Obesity Leadership Edge.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Determine which patients are eligible for anti-obesity medications.
- Describe the FDA-approved medications for weight loss, including mechanism of action, efficacy, indication, and contraindications.
- Review medications that are used off-label for weight loss and appraise the evidence that may support their use.
- Assess current medications to identify drugs that are associated with weight gain and consider alternatives.
- Select appropriate weight loss medications for eligible patients, and prescribe and monitor therapy.