Comprehensive Lifestyle Intervention
Obesity is a chronic disease that results in multiple complications and yet is rarely addressed in a systematic way in healthcare. This module is designed to prepare PAs to effectively care for patients affected by obesity.
Learning ObjectivesAt the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Assess current eating patterns and preferences using techniques such as 24-hour dietary recall and food diaries.
- Identify problematic eating behaviors.
- Identify socioeconomic issues related to dietary choices.
- Compare and contrast weight-loss diets.
- Make a referral to a registered dietitian, medical weight loss program, or commercial weight loss program when appropriate.
- Prescribe physical activity using the FITTE format.
- Refer patients to community resources for increasing physical activity including personal trainers, physical therapists, health clubs, and community recreation centers.
- Describe the importance of behavioral skills required to support and sustain weight loss.
- Use appropriate technology (wearable fitness trackers, smartphone apps) to support behavioral change.