Diabetes Leadership Edge: Module 5 - Pharmocotherapy Part 2: Insulin Therapy and Challenging Cases
This interactive module is five of seven designed to prepare PAs to effectively care for patients affected by diabetes and is a continuation of the discussion on pharmacotherapy begun in module 4, Pharmocotherapy Part 1: Treatment Algorithm and Non-Insulin Therapies, and focuses on insulin treatment. This activity is part of AAPA's curriculum know as Diabetes Leadership Edge.
Learning ObjectivesAt the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Identify patient barriers to the introduction of an injectable agent and formulate strategies to overcome these barriers.
- Review the range of insulin and insulin-containing combination products and principles for deploying them in regimen.
- Define situations where introducing basal insulin at bedtime would be appropriate.
- Formulate guideline-compliant regimens for a range of patients based on patient characteristics and specific clinical situations.
- Evaluate regimens and develop strategies to intensify therapy when a regimen is not achieving desired results.